Back in the summer of 2015, I began to pick up Belkin’s WeMo devices and install them into my home. I’ve fallen in love with home automation, and it has been very useful in our day to day lives. If you haven’t seen already, I’ve already done a couple of reviews; WeMo Light Switch and WeMo LED Lighting.
I’m not as advanced as others out there. I don’t have a Nest or Honeywell WiFi thermostat (yet), or a Nest Protect (yet), or a WeMo Slow Cooker (yet?). Right now my home automation is limited to lighting, and it is working great thanks to IFTTT.
If you’re already a WeMo user, you may have found that the WeMo app already has a Rules section where you can automate your WeMo products. I tried this for a while, but I found it to become unreliable. My bed light is set to 5:15am, Monday to Saturday, to wake up my wife and I for our morning workout. For reasons unknown, it kept switching to 6:15am. It could have been something to do with Daylight Savings Time, but I couldn’t find that setting anywhere. I digress.
WeMo promotes the use of IFTTT, so why not? I’ve used IFTTT’s services off and on over the years already.
My WeMo and IFTTT Setup
The above screen captures are to give a visual example of what things look like on the IFTTT website. To keep things simple, I’ll list out my entire IFFTT/WeMo setup in point form.
- IFTTT works with Android Wear, so when I open IFTTT on my Moto 360 smartwatch, and I do the following;
- If I tap a button on my watch, then it toggles my outside door light (WeMo Light Switch) on or off.
- If I tap a button on my watch, then it toggles my bed light (WeMo Insight Switch) on or off.
- IFTTT and WeMo can use the weather channel, which provides sunrise and sunset times;
- If it is sunset, turn on my outside door light
- If it is sunset, turn on my living room lights to 50% (WeMo LED Lighting, set as a group)
- And, of course, IFTTT can control WeMo products by the time of day, and days of the week;
- At 5:15am, Monday to Friday, turn on my bed light
- At 6:30am, Monday to Friday, turn off my bed light
- At 5:15am, Monday to Friday, turn on my living room lights
- At 7:30am, Monday to Friday, turn off my living room lights
There you have it! If you’re interested in knowing how to set all of this up, such as connecting WeMo to IFTTT, setting up IFTTT channels (Android Wear, Weather, Time, and WeMo), and creating IFTTT recipes, then please let me know in the comments below! If I receive enough requests, I’ll writeup a follow-up article!